The Health Insurance Authority (“The Authority”) regularly receives queries and complaints from consumers relating to their health insurance. We also receive enquiries from insurers, the media, public bodies, professional associations and private companies. You are all customers of the Authority and we are committed to delivering the highest standard and service to you.
- If you contact us we will treat you in a polite, courteous and fair manner. We will provide you with clear and correct information about private health insurance.
- We will treat all customers equally and deliver the highest quality of customer service.
- If your query or complaint is more appropriately dealt with by another body, we will advise you and provide you with the contact details of that body.
- Our publications will be clearly written, simple and easy to understand and we will promptly provide you with copies of our publications by the method preferred by you.
- The Authority’s written queries/complaints procedure and all publications will be made available to you via the Authority’s website and you can request a copy be sent to you. We will keep the website up to date.
- Any query or complaint received by the Authority will be investigated by a staff member with the necessary knowledge and experience to deal with the matter promptly and fairly and who has access to more senior staff for guidance if required.
- If you are discontented with our response to a complaint and you wish to escalate it, the Authority will advise you of the options available for further action e.g. reference to Financial Services Ombudsman or the Courts.
- The Authority will record and analyse queries, complaints and customer feedback to ensure that they are being dealt with effectively, and to improve the service given to customers.
Members of the public contacting the Authority by telephone
- We are available to take your calls between 9.15 am and 12.45 pm and between 2.00 pm and 5.15 p.m. Monday to Friday excluding public holidays and over the Christmas period.
- We will identify ourselves to you.
- We will get back to you within an agreed timeframe if we can’t respond to your query or complaint immediately
Members of the public contacting the Authority by email or post
- The Authority will acknowledge your letter within five working days of the query/complaint being received. If this reply is an acknowledgement rather than a full reply it will indicate the name and contact details of the person dealing with the query/complaint and the estimated time scale for a full reply.
- All communications with you will be in 'plain English' and avoid the use of jargon.
- You will be kept informed if the original timescale changes.