Community Rating is a system, where a person’s age does not determine the level of premium they pay. There are a number of exceptions namely:
- From 1 May 2015, if you first buy health insurance at age 35 or over, an age at entry loading may apply to your premium.
- Children, where the premium must be no more than 50% of the adult rate.
- The premium for those aged 18-25 may be reduced.
- Members of group schemes, where the premium may be reduced by up to 10%.
- Pensioners who are members of restricted membership insurers may have their premiums reduced.